First! What is osteoporosis?In laymen’s terms it is the weakening of the bone because of the lack of production of the bone tissue, thus leading to increased risk of fractures and breaks.
Calcium and Vitamin D supplements!! Make sure you are getting enough of both of these!
Healthy Diet! Here are some bone healthy foods to consider eating.
EXERCISE!!!The most effective are weight-bearing exercises and muscle strengthening!
Examples of weight-bearing:
high-impact weight-bearing exercises are:
- Doing high-impact aerobics
- Jumping Rope
- Stair climbing
Examples of low-impact weight-bearing exercises are:
- Using elliptical training machines
- Doing low-impact aerobics
- Using stair-step machines
- Fast walking on a treadmill or outside
Muscle Strengthening exercises:
- Lifting weights
- Using elastic exercise bands
- Using weight machines
- Lifting your own body weight
- Functional movements, such as standing and rising up on your toes
Check out these websites for more resources.
- http://nof.org/learn/prevention- Bone healthy recipes and nutritional planning guides!
- https://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/osteoporosis.html- This fact sheet is something that every women should read and be knowledgable!
- http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Osteoporosis/osteoporosis_ff.asp- Another resource for prevention.
- http://nof.org/resources- website that is for people that have osteoporosis. Valuable resource!